Skip to main content

Community

Subscribe to GoRails to join the conversation. Ask questions about your code, get help adding a new feature, and discuss implementation details with other members.

What are your goals for 2017?

General • Asked by Alan Reid

Gravatar

Alan Reid Mod commented on :

Hello all!
Hope you all have a great holiday and heres to an awesome 2017 to you all :)

One of my goals for 2017 is to learn new stuff. One of the things i want to do, is to expand my understanding of how my app would work if hosted across multiple servers. While also learning abit more about non-IIS hosting enviroments - I come from a .NET background.

Well to kick off 2017, and further this goal I've invested in some Raspberry Pi's which will become my development test server.

All is good so far, I have it all set up and working well with just one Pi device, and I'll be moving on to add more nodes shortly. I will be posting my findings on my blog soon, so I will share the link here if anyone is interested once I'm done.

From what I have read so far some people are hosting sites with around 50k monthly visitors on a cluster of 2 Pi 2's so its pretty cool. Well to me it is haha :)

I was wondering if anyone has tried this before? I'd be keen to hear how you did it.

Finally, what are your goals for 2017? I have a couple more, but please feel free to share yours too, and then check back to see if you managed to complete them later in the year.

Gravatar

Nick McNeany commented on :

Happy New Year Alan and to everyone else!

I'm definitely interested in hearing about your findings! I have zero experience with Rasberry Pi, so can't offer any help, sorry.

My Goals:
2017 will be the year of iOS for me. I'm definitely going to continue to focus on Ruby/Rails and my front-end skills, but I'm going to really focus on learning Objective-C, more specifically Swift.

If anyone has any good resources (free or paid) I would be interested in hearing about them. Thanks!

Go 2017!!!

Gravatar

Patrick Berarducci commented on :

My goals:

• Officially launch my business - https://linnect.com
  • Make it easier for people to prevent, manage and reverse chronic disorders (several family members suffering) by optimizing lifestyle factors. (This is what my biz is doing.)
  • Be a good husband.
  • Start a family.

Woohoo!!

Gravatar

@Nick, yeah continued learning for Rails is still my main aim. I also have Angular 2 on my mind. I am also looking to relaunch my CSS library with a new name too :D So will be quite cool. I will let you know about the Pi stuff, so far my lil server is working well. Should have a stack of them setup early next week.

@Patrick, Good Luck with the business mate, i hope it works out well. - Nice site btw. And even more luck with the family, kids are great but they grow up way too quick! My son is almost 3 and he's already telling me about how hes coding, and messing with terminal commands to make his server faster, while hes on his iPad haha :-/ - what have i created?!

Gravatar

Here's a sneaky peek...

Gravatar

Adrian DeGus commented on :

@Alan My 10 yr old started coding several months back, around the same time I did. As I started learning Ruby he was learning Lua (as a means to code his own Roblox games). It's amazing how fast kids can pick things up isn't it?

As for 2017, my ultimate goal is to use my developing Rails skills to launch a project management tool for small businesses. I've run an SEO agency for years and am hoping to branch out into something more scalable. But.. even if it doesn't pan out, I've found Rails so enjoyable that I'll probably just continue to learn more throughout the year for the fun of it :)

@Patrick Linnect looks amazing, I really like the concept.

Gravatar

@Adrian yeah its crazy! Kids are like sponges so its great to get them involved at a young age i think personally. My son has had this book since he was born.. http://codebabies.com/product/web-design-for-babies-2-0

Gravatar

Chris Oliver Mod Staff commented on :

@Alan, props to you for starting this thread.

You guys are awesome. All these sound really exciting. We should do a check-in like 6 months from now and see how far we've made it or something.

My 2017 is going to be working on a couple new products. First, I'm working on two new product ideas that I'm curious about, and then I want to document that process in a video series that I'll probably do on YouTube. Incentive for myself to get started, I'm going to not sure the ideas here just yet, but I'm going to force myself to share them on videos on YouTube.

I guess related to all this, I want to get better at running the marketing side of running my own business, and if things go well, I'd love to be able to hire my first employee before the end of the year. That's a huge goal, but I think if I really hustled, it could be possible.

Gravatar

shakycode commented on :

This is an excellent thread. Thanks so much for creating this.

My goals in 2017

• Become better at Ruby and Rails
  • Finally tackle the front end and learn Javascript
  • Get more involved in React
  • Build a new SaaS platform and launch it as a startup
  • Quit my dead end job
  • Build tons of side projects to expand my portfolio and potentially solve real world problems
  • Finish my meme generator which I've been procrastinating on
  • Make new friends in the GoRails community and lend a helping hand where I can
  • Always be coding
  • Always be learning
  • Do things that scare me
  • Lose weight (had to throw that in there) :-)

Gravatar

Nick McNeany commented on :

@Alan, Looks awesome!

Also, put me down for all of @Shakycode's goals too!

Gravatar

Jacob Montgomery commented on :

2017 goals:

• learn more ruby!
  • learn JS
  • patiently wait for @Alan to finish his cluster so I can clone his SD cards :D

Gravatar

I've put the cluster on hold for a bit due to other commitments. However i will finish it off soon and update :D It's all built now, just need to setup NGINX, and set one Pi as a load balancer. I am also tempted to get a Pi just as a DB server.

I recently seen that Angular will be skipping to Version 4, they are missing 3 due to one of the compents being out of sync to the rest of the framework. So with that in mind I have found some courses on Pluralsight which I am going to use to learn Angular 4.

DartCSS is fully underway now, so i am developing a modular CSS library. Doughnut has been retired as the name. I chose Dart as it mixes the names of my 2 youngest kids together (Daisy and ARThur) ;)

Gravatar

Matthew Welke commented on :

I'm pretty interested in Angular myself (trying hard not to refer to it as Angular 4, as per the community's wishes xD). I've been working with SPAs more lately and it really makes a world of difference in terms of what the user experience is like compared to traditional server generated web apps. And when you want to add features like real time updates and use technologies like Websockets, you don't even need to think about how you might go about adding JavaScript to your site, because you're already living in that browser side JavaScript world. I can't believe how much of a congnitive shift I've had to perform lately, learning just how powerful JavaScript is.

My goal for 2017 is to release my first creation. Doing so will require putting to use all of the things I've learned over the past few years. It's going to be a mobile app, so it's going to involve making a back end app (probably with Rails or Hanami), making an Android app (which I've been learning how to do on Coursera), and getting the whole thing hosted on a cloud provider.

Subscribe to GoRails to join the conversation. Ask questions about your code, get help adding a new feature, and discuss implementation details with other members.