Save 36% for Black Friday! Learn more

All threads / Realtime Online User Tracking with ActionCable Discussion

Ask A Question

Notifications

You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.

Realtime Online User Tracking with ActionCable Discussion

How would you limit those users by tenant ( account)? Would you make the data sent to redis an array of two integers, like [1, 2] where 1 is the account.id and 2 is the user.id? Or is there a simpler way to approach this?

Hi Matt,
what about setting a different key per tenant ?

ActionCable.server.pubsub.redis_connection_for_subscriptions.sadd(
        "online_users_account#{account.id}", current_user.id)

As I was facing another (but I think related) issue, storing apperance for multiple models, I store a key per model and each one has its own array.

Thanks Nathan,
I was thinking something like that as well, but I'm pretty new to how ActionCable works so am stumbling through this a bit... Good to know that I had thought through this in a decent way despite not knowing how to implement this. Do you think that it'd be good to add something to connection.rb to deal with multitenancy and whethere 'current_account' is set?

Hi,
I never worked with multy tenancy and I'm also quite new to ActionCable
so I don't really know, but my guess is you could pass an array to identified_by and identify by both current_user and current_tenant.
Then set current_tenant or reject connection if none is found.
I did some testing and the following make the current_tenant variable availble in all channels and seems to work fine.

module ApplicationCable
  class Connection < ActionCable::Connection::Base
    identified_by :current_user, :current_tenant

def connect
      self.current_user = find_verified_user
      self.current_tenant = find_tenant
      logger.add_tags "ActionCable", "#{current_user.class.name} #{current_user.id}"
    end

protected

def find_verified_user
      # some logic to find the user
    end

def find_tenant
      # just an example
      if user.tenant.present?
        user.tenant
      else
        reject_unauthorized_connection
      end
    end
  end
end

Again, I never had to do that so I'm not sure about this solution but it seems to work fine.
Let me know if this i working :)

Iam not using Jumpstart and if i try to even get the members in console i get an error:

NoMethodError (undefined method `redis_connection_for_subscriptions' for #ActionCable::SubscriptionAdapter::Async:0x00007f8bc0a80ba8)

has anyone an idea why ? or how to fix

I got the same error. Were you able to figure out the cause or a fix ?

After digging around a little I noticed the problem was in cabl.yml, (Im assuming you both encountered this issue while working in development).
There is an 'adapter: async' under the development namespace, just set it to redis and that solved my problem.

have I missed something?
if a user is logged in in two browsers and then unsubscribes from only one of the browsers doesn't the unsubscribe incorrectly remove them from the redis data bas?

Join the discussion

Want to stay up-to-date with Ruby on Rails?

Join 39,609+ developers who get early access to new tutorials, screencasts, articles, and more.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.

logo Created with Sketch.

Ruby on Rails tutorials, guides, and screencasts for web developers learning Ruby, Rails, Javascript, Turbolinks, Stimulus.js, Vue.js, and more. Icons by Icons8

© 2020 GoRails, LLC. All rights reserved.