Ask A Question

Notifications

You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.

ElasticSearch 400 error.

Sillico asked in Rails

Hello!

I am pretty new to Rails and recently signed up to try to get some more exposure. I have been playing around with Elastic Search, but am having a hard time implementing some of the more advanced features. I watched the episode on GoRails, but when I try to boot up the server from the GoRails repo, I constantly get 400 errors. I tried searching my project directory for "fields" an found one result that I replace with stored_fields. Then I tried commenting out that function. However, nothing changes. What am I missing / doing wrong?

Searchkick::InvalidQueryError in QuestionsController#index
[400] {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"parsing_exception","reason":"The field [fields] is no longer supported, please use [stored_fields] to retrieve stored fields or _source filtering if the field is not stored","line":1,"col":127}],"type":"parsing_exception","reason":"The field [fields] is no longer supported, please use [stored_fields] to retrieve stored fields or _source filtering if the field is not stored","line":1,"col":127},"status":400}

def index
    query = params[:q].presence || "*"
    @questions = Question.search(query, suggest: true) # The highlighted line from the error page on rails server
  end

# GET /questions/1

I believe this is an error is relating to a version of elasticsearch and Searchkick.

Can you check what version of elasticsearch you're running and what version of the searchkick gem you have in you Gemfile/Gemfile.lock?

I actually ended up watching the video and using parts of the video with what I had already built out to get the desired result. Great tutorial though!

I'm actually seeing the same error in a controller spec. Searchkick v. 1.3.2, elasticsearch v. 2.0.0. Rails 4.2.6 & Ruby 2.2.2. I didn't set up this searchkick so I've been googling around for suggestions on the issue and this is one of few instances of the same error.

Edit: Figured it out! Elasticsearch 5+ (not the gem) renames fields to stored_fields, and searchkick doesn't support that in 1.3.2. I updated searchkick and it's all fine.

Join the discussion
Create an account Log in

Want to stay up-to-date with Ruby on Rails?

Join 81,842+ developers who get early access to new tutorials, screencasts, articles, and more.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.

Screencast tutorials to help you learn Ruby on Rails, Javascript, Hotwire, Turbo, Stimulus.js, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Ubuntu, and more.

© 2024 GoRails, LLC. All rights reserved.