Is there an episode on Post Production Updates?
Love the latest episodes Chris! Was wondering if you have or plan to cover soon how to do post production updates on a rails app. For me that is a scary topic and one i think lots of folks would love to do. I can adjust my app in development but once i push to production, I'm stuck on how to do updates to it - like adding new models, controllers, or view pages
- Make sure to work from different branches in git (e.g. master branch is on your production server and develop is on your staging and local)
- Do not make changes to your to exisiting migrations, if you need to change/create models create a migration for it.
- In case you add a field to a modal and you are using it in a control flow make sure to set a default value
- New Controllers/Views can be added like normal
- After local testing deploy to your staging server * git pull * rails db:migrate * start your server
- If all is verified do the same on production from your master branch, restart your services
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Thanks for answering!