Ask A Question

Notifications

You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.

Expanding beyond a basic Rails CRUD site.

Konhaivo12 asked in General

Hello everyone,,,
So I've got a fairly basic CRUD style rails app, which has a list of Gins, Distilleries and and blog Posts.

I'd like to expand it quite significantly in the following ways:

Add authenticated users To allow users to interacat with Gins. e.g. be able to favorite, add to wish list, rate and gamification etc
Add a user dashboard The dashboard would display the above interactions, and also a feed of all users interactions
Build native mobile apps I hear mobile is the future ;) but to also allow for the below:
User uploads of gin photos I want to have a monthly activity where users have to find gins based on some hints, and they can then upload the gins that they find.
So, this has really got my head aching, and feels wayyyyyy beyond my capabilities, but hey...

I have some main questions:

What can I use for user authentication, so that a user can login in to the app, and also web clients? Good ole' Devise? Google Firebase, AWS Cognito, Oauth perhaps Okta.

If I use something other than Devise, how and where would I store the user data for likes for example that a user might make in the web client and/or the mobile app.

I'd like to keep 'standard' rails app for my static pages and the blog, (so easy to do in rails, plus SEO advantages) but am thinking of building a seperate VueJS app for the dashboard. I would render Gin and Distilleries in json API, which could also be access via the mobile apps.

Appreciate this is a big quetsion, and will have many opnions, but any thoughts or comments would be appriciated as my brain hurts and my girlfriend doesn't care to be a soundboard.

Join the discussion
Create an account Log in

Want to stay up-to-date with Ruby on Rails?

Join 81,842+ developers who get early access to new tutorials, screencasts, articles, and more.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.

Screencast tutorials to help you learn Ruby on Rails, Javascript, Hotwire, Turbo, Stimulus.js, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Ubuntu, and more.

© 2024 GoRails, LLC. All rights reserved.